Personally, I believe that some companies give to charity or even have a CSR and sustainability department just in order to have a better, “cleaner” image on the market. Just read their annual sustainability reports (yes, I do read them!) and you’ll see, sometimes it’s just a lot of b***it.
So, how to give smart, personally and for your company, when you really care:
- The first step is to think of the field that you care the most or that best responds to your life’s principles :
- Do you think that health is the most important thing in the world?
- Or that education can change everything for the better? …
- Or that climate change is a real issue?
- Once you have decided in which field you want to involve, decide how you want to involve: when people think of NGO’s, money comes immediately to mind. But there are other ways in which you can help:
- By sharing their beliefs and good actions on the web
- By participating in a fundraising
- By giving skills
- By giving old clothes and objects
- By giving money
- Whatever you choose to give, make sure the NGO has a more or less good image on the web. Unfortunately there are too many people taking advantage of goodness, so you’re never too careful.
- Check the administrative costs and how much money actually goes to projects: small ones can sometimes be even better than the usual worldwide NGO’s, that spend a lot of money on fancy CRM tools and have huge administrative costs.
- See also what’s the NGO’s reactivity to current pressing issues in their fields. If their goal is to work only on one topic for long-term, ok, but otherwise you should make sure that they do attend to pressing topics.
- See also what’s their flexibility and transparency level: can you give to a certain project, or only to the organization in general? Personally I find it more interesting and more personal when I can choose the project.
This is my proposal, I wish you good luck in your choice!
Do let me know if other ideas come to mind! 🙂
credit photo: http://www.alibris.co.uk/Give-Smart-Philanthropy-That-Gets-Results-Thomas-Tierney/book/16228133? – book not read (yet)!